Starting from the
24th July 2016 (17th July 2016, due to the cancellation of the West Coast Tournament), we will be running a weekly Swiss Style tournament every Sunday here at Perth Table Tennis Club. Everybody had a lot of fun at our recent “Don’t Miss the Swiss” competition, and several players said that it would be great if there was a tournament like this to play in every week. So now there is!
We have changed the starting time due to feedback from players, as well as the intention to allow our state junior players enough time to finish their morning training and get over to our club.
The new starting time is 2.00pm. Entry fee is $20, so just turn up by 1.45pm, hand over your entry fee to the trustworthy looking gentleman at the door (that would be me), and start playing! The tournament should wrap up around 5.00pm, depending on numbers.
Following feedback from players, we have adjusted our prize money system to give all players a chance of winning their group category and picking up a reward. We are using the Ratings Central ranking system to assign players a rating, and then the prize money is allocated as follows:
$50 – players over 1600 points winner
$50 – players between 1300 to 1600 points winner
$50 – players between 900 to 1300 points winner
$50 – players under 900 points winner
Players without a Ratings Central points rating will be given an initial rating by the Tournament Director.
Here’s a quick look at the recent “Don’t Miss the Swiss” tournament held on 26 June 2016.
What is a Swiss Style Tournament?
Swiss style tournaments are great for several reasons, including:
- You’ll get somewhere between 4-6 matches (best of 5 games). No getting knocked out in the first round by the #1 seed!
- The idea is to play people with the same number of wins against each other until an overall winner is found. Most of your matches will be against players around your standard. If you are winning, you’ll keep playing better players. If you are losing, you’ll be matched with players closer to your level. You don’t have to be a great player to compete and have fun.
- It’s all just one event, so no waiting around for hours getting cold in between different events.
- Our playing venue is great – plenty of court space, great flooring, competition tables, stadium seating, good lighting, and even a cafe open on the grounds to get a snack or a coffee!
- More variety – we can handle 44 players in each tournament, so you’ll be playing a lot of different people from week to week.
- You are welcome to stick around after the tournament and keep playing for free, if you have the energy!
- You don’t have to turn up every week (although we’d love you to!). You can turn up on any Sunday you like, and know that there will be a tournament ready for you to play in. (Apart from the WA State Open Week, we can’t detract from WA’s premier table tennis tournament!) Or just give Greg a ring on 0408 953 764 before 12.00pm Sunday to check the tournament is on.
Swiss Style table tennis tournaments are great fun, and suit all ages, sexes, and standards. You’ll get plenty of good matches in a relaxed, enjoyable atmosphere. What are you waiting for – see you on Sunday!